1. first , a woman complains to an Member of Parliamen (MP) that the police are NOT taking action against her sister in Laws !! on some dowry relate issue
2. The MP immediately directes Bathinda senior superintendent police Ravcharan Singh Brar, who was sitting next to her, to take necessary action and arrest the accused living at Khanna near Ludhiana
3. Look at the the word "arrest" immediately
4. NO investigation, NO due process, NOTHING .... ARREST THEM !! immediately !!
5. Then the police swing into action and request the complainant for a car to reach the sister in law's place (probably the police jeep was busy elsewhere...)
6. the complainant family NOW tell that the MP !! they can't arrange the car to arrest the in laws !! what else .... everything has to be at government cost , taxpayer money .... so the complainant family tell the MP / complain to the MP
7. Now the police sub inspector who asked for the car is fired !!!!
8. what is happening to this country !!! ??
Swift action leaves cops red-faced in front of MP
Kamaldeep Singh Brar, Hindustan Times Bathinda , July 21, 2013
First Published: 21:12 IST(21/7/2013) | Last Updated: 21:15 IST(21/7/2013)
It was an embarrassing day for the Bathinda police when they were not only accused of inaction but their 'swift action' also exposed flaws in their functioning that, too, in front of MP Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
Harsimrat Kaur Badal, who is patron of Nanhi Chhan campaign, received a complaint of alleged police inaction from Gurdev Singh, a resident of Guru Nanakpura Mohalla, who accused police of not taking action against his sister's in-laws for demanding dowry and victimising her.
The member of Parliament from Bathinda was present on grounds of Maharaja Ranjit Singh Polytechnic College to hold a sangat darshan programme. She immediately directed Bathinda senior superintendent police Ravcharan Singh Brar, who was sitting next to her, to take necessary action and arrest the accused living at Khanna near Ludhiana.
The police immediately swung into action. The alleged victim's family was at sangat darshan of the MP when they received a call from women police station's assistant sub-inspector Janak Singh. However, the complainants soon got a taste of police functioning when Janak Singh told them to arrange a cab so that police can raid the residence of the accused at Khanna.
The family again approached Harsimrat Kaur Badal and said they cannot meet the "new condition" imposed for the execution of her orders. Embarrassed SSP Brar had no option but to order the suspension of Janak Singh.
The complainant family alleged that they had made repeated complaints to police but to no avail.
However, soon they realised the mess they have put the police into as Harsimrat would not be present there every day to make police act.
It must be the reason that Gurdev Singh later toned down his aggression and claimed that he was satisfied with police action on his complaint.
Women police station SHO Jaspal Kaur confirmed that Janak Singh had been suspended. It was not the only case at sangat darshan where police were accused of inaction. Several other similar cases also came up in front of the MP.